Accessory Hitches and Bike Racks

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGord

Carrying Bikes with the Kia Soul EV

The Kia Soul EV has large plastic underbody panels that rule out the installation of a regular accessory hitch unless the rear under panel is modified. It would be handy if the Kia Sould EV in the future had a removable small cut out for a standard Hidden hitch assembly so bikes could be carried with a conventional accessory hitch

Looks like we will have to go with a Thule (or equivalent) trunk strap bike rack. Does anyone have any experience with the Thule TH9001 XT or the Thule TH9001 XT or the Thule TH9006 XT on the Kia Soul EV?

I wouldn't rule out a normal bike rack just yet...

With the Nissan Leaf it wasn't long until somebody pulled off the rear panel to find places to mount a hitch.
On the Soul EV, assuming the battery pack doesn't cover up the conventional hitch mounting locations, I'd expect a standard hitch would work just great with a small piece of the plastic underbody notched out.

Check out the EV Wiki for the Nissan Leaf info and ideas: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Body_Appearance_-_Exterior

I have the same interest in getting a hitch so that I can attach a bike holder. So as soon as someone hears that there is a available unit that fits our cars lets do a group buy.
Manny

How did it go? Have you got any further?
I have been looking at these:
http://www.saris.com/product/solo
http://www.buzzrack.com/galleries/spider-trunk-rack-2-arms-bike-carrier/

Over the years I have tried bike carriers similar to the ones you highlighted. They are either too flimsy or mar up the car's finish. The best way to go that gives the greatest support and capability is to go with the hitch. Even the roof top are a pain. I just checked at Curt Hitches and they show several for the Kia Soul. They do not mention electric, however I need to take a look underneath and see if the build is similar. The link is here: http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?mount=Rear+Mount&year=2015&make=Kia&model=Soul&style=All

Probably right to go with a trailer type hitch.
Once someone finds one that works for the Soul EV please post.
Till then I will carry the bikes inside my 2013 Leaf instead

In the USA, KIA says that towing is not "recommended", but it is also not forbidden. KIA owners say that their warranties have been honored even with transmission problems.
In Europe, KIA recommends towing being limited to 550 kg/1212lbs with no brakes and 1300kgs/2866lbs with brakes.

UPDATE: KIA USA "WILL" void your warranty for even having a bike rack ... any excuse!
KIA dealer claims the Soul EV can't do squat and anything will void the warranty.

BamBam - that's great news. You can use the 'Img' button to insert the URL for photos hosted elsewhere online:

tumblr_nmvlqndGbS1qc8yzvo1_540.jpg

In the USA, KIA says that towing is not "recommended", but it is also not forbidden. KIA owners say that their warranties have been honored even with transmission problems.
In Europe, KIA recommends towing being limited to 550 kg/1212lbs with no brakes and 1300kgs/2866lbs with brakes.

UPDATE: KIA USA "WILL" void your warranty for even having a bike rack ... any excuse!
KIA dealer claims the Soul EV can't do squat and anything will void the warranty.

Hi,
Where did you find KIA's statements on towing :
>>>>
KIA’s Statements on Towing:
In the USA, KIA says that towing is not recommended, but it is also not forbidden. KIA owners say that their warranties have been honored even with transmission problems.
<<<<<

I live in Norway and currently towing is not legally allowed. The above statement about towing must be for the petrol version yes? I would love to buy an EV but we need to tow a 500kg trailer often...for short distances only though. I know a couple of people who have fitted two hooks but they risk a ticket from the police but even worse, KIA may invalidate the warranty.

Thanks and great to hear you are towing!

Hello from France,

I just unmounted the lower plastic cover of the rear of my soul ev last week and saw that there is holes at same position as a thermic soul then it should be possible to install a trailer hitch on it.

I ordered one and will confirm soon if trailer hitch installation is possible.

In France electrics and hybrids vehicles are not allowed to have a trailer but physically it seems possible, I made it too on my prius 2.

Because range extender could be added in a trailer, it's normal to have a trailer hitch i think.

PIFOUKIA said:
In France electrics and hybrids vehicles are not allowed to have a trailer but physically it seems possible, I made it too on my prius 2.
I don't think France can say that. If a vehicle is allowed to have a trailer in an EU-country then it is allowed everywhere. There are several plugin hybrids that are allowed to tow a trailer in the EU..

France say that :-( in fact when you can have a trailer, the owner certificate has an indication of the maximum weight allowed, if this indication is empty (electric and some hybrid cars) you can not have a trailer. the kia soul has an empty indication then is not allowed.

In France the owner certificate is free for electric or hybrid car but you can't have a trailer then you have to buy a thermic car for that ...

PIFOUKIA said:
France say that :-( in fact when you can have a trailer, the owner certificate has an indication of the maximum weight allowed, if this indication is empty (electric and some hybrid cars) you can not have a trailer. the kia soul has an empty indication then is not allowed.

In France the owner certificate is free for electric or hybrid car but you can't have a trailer then you have to buy a thermic car for that ...
I don't think you understand what I meant. I know that in Europe the Kia Soul EV is not cleared for a trailer so you can't have one anywhere, including France.

But you are saying no electric or plugin is allowed to have a trailer in France at all.

What I am saying is that for example the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or the Lexus RX400h are allowed to have a trailer in the EU. Of course the vehicle registration of those cars will show that they are allowed to have a trailer, what the maximum weight is that they are allowed to tow (with or without brakes on the trailer) etcetera.

France can't stop those cars with trailers at the border and then say "sorry, not allowed to have a trailer in France with this car".

I'm not sure why most (all?) electric vehicles are not allowed to have a trailer in the EU. But for the hybrids the story is different. Maybe the manufacturers have some kind of reason to not ask for clearance?

I understand, yes I see that some hybrids are now allowed to have a trailer, in fact the car maker has to pass tests to allow his vehicle to have a trailer but for a so little market that electric cars and to avoid some damage i think on it, the car maker has not done the tests.

It seems that TESLA model S is actually passing tests to be allowed to have a trailer.

PIFOUKIA said:
for a so little market that electric cars and to avoid some damage i think on it, the car maker has not done the tests.
Even for the "normal" Soul you can have a trailer. They sold so few of those in The Netherlands that they didn't even bother to introduce the second generation Soul with a combustion engine.

So it seems strange that they can do the tests for cars that don't sell well but still don't do them on electric cars. Or perhaps they think they won't sell many of them? But even on a LEAF or a ZOE which sell quite well this is not the case.

Perhaps there is some silly rule somewhere that they are afraid of? I just don't know enough about vehicle tests to find out. My car dealership also couldn't tell why. In fact even the empty weight and the maximum weight of the Soul EV are really close so if you have four "big sized" adults you might already weigh too much :oops:

PIFOUKIA said:
Hello from France,

I just unmounted the lower plastic cover of the rear of my soul ev last week and saw that there is holes at same position as a thermic soul then it should be possible to install a trailer hitch on it.

I ordered one and will confirm soon if trailer hitch installation is possible.

Were you able to get the hitch mounted?

The only ones I see for the ICE Soul have the smaller receiver (1.25", don't know metric equivalent) and say the are rated for 200lbs. I don't plan on pulling a trailer, but I wanted one of the trays/shelves you can mount to the receiver to carry coolers, firewood, etc. the tray weighs 50lbs, leaving 150lbs :(

Not terrible, but not ideal.
I would like a hitch with a 2" receiver and a higher rating.

Hello,

Trailer hitch is mounted OK , wiring is not connected actually, the KIA french homologation service does not allow trailer on the kia soul EV.

FYI, I ordered a hitch this afternoon, it will take about a week for delivery. A local company (Torklift Central) offered a hitch with a 2" receiver ($250). Part# X7326
http://torkliftcentral.com/drive-electric/2014-2015-kia-soul-ecohitch

The 200lbs tongue weight limit is limited by the car, not the hitch.

I was going to get a cargo shelf for the back of mine, but could easily go over the 200lb limit.
I decided to buy a small motorcycle trailer. Very light on the tongue, and not very heavy to pull.

Something like this, but I am hoping to find a nicer one with a higher speed limit...
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...e-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html

Back