Anyone try a CCS to Chademo adapter

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every now and again I search for 'ccs to chademo adapter' and finally seeing some discussion on integrated adaptors, mostly Europe, that are becoming commercially available. Wondering if anyone has tried one out on a Soul?

TeslaBjorn has a review of one of them here :-

What he doesn't point out is that there is no theft protection for this. ( Not on early Soul EVs for sure - is there a charger lock for the Chademo plug , that locks the cable when the car is locked, on later cars. ) If it was my car anyone passing by could just disconnect the adapter and walk away with it.
Not good when the price of the adapter is almost the value of the car.

Last edited:
TeslaBjorn has a review of one of them here :-

What he doesn't point out is that there is no theft protection for this. ( Not on early Soul EVs for sure - is there a charger lock for the Chademo plug , that locks the cable when the car is locked, on later cars. ) If it was my car anyone passing by could just disconnect the adapter and walk away with it.
Not good when the price of the adapter is almost the value of the car.

Also his is a ccs2 to chademo (I think Europe is CCS2, someone correct me if I’m wrong); and for some reason CCS2 to Chademo seems to work better with more stations than CCS1. Though eventually I assume will need a NACS to Chademo adapter (ant least in North America) assuming the Soul will last that long.

I got a CCS1 to Chademo recently (arrived while I was on vacation), so will test it out in a few days when I’m home and see what works and what doesn’t. Given the relatively fast charge time to 80%(or 94%), have slightly less problems with waiting in the car while it’s charging. Though it’s true that there’s no locking mechanism, even if it’s a key shaped thing. I’m wondering if I can take the thing apart and 3D print a better enclosure with a key lock in it…(musings)

nomadic hippie purchased one for his Leaf (US CCS1 -> Chademo). He spends several videos trying it out, reloading firmware but finally gets it to work

Ccs to chademo adapter North America Nissan leaf unboxing video . Ev charging
It WORKS.. CCs to chademo adapter North America Nissan leaf 2021

Now, Dala reviews a video of one being pulled open and notes only 1 contractor has a disconnect which is concerning.
They did not even test it on vehicles

He posts the links to both CCS1 and CCS2 adapters in the description of that youtube.

They basically used simulators as the starting point and worked from there. I opened mine yesterday but haven’t gotten to the point where I needed to fast charge yet so will get there and try and see what happens. The factory said to contact them if it doesn’t work and need updated firmware…

update:

Tested a Shell Recharge 60kw unit today. It connected without issues (i was in the 75% SOC so it wasn’t going fast, I was mostly expecting it to not work at all).

I’ll be testing more ccs chargers and see if I can hit max speed of 60kw/65? - one BCHydro unit I had showed 64kw once…

The unit in question is here:

646 E 44th Ave Parking Lot
https://www.plugshare.com/location/161024

A short video showing the charging actually happening.

IMG_7947.png

Back