2015 Soul EV Transmission Flush?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edman98

Our Kia Soul EV battery/wiring harness recall was resolved a few months ago (after months in the shop) and has been running well.

Now there is a now a noticeable "noise", though runs well. Taken in for a look and was surprised with the recommendation. Thoughts?

Attachments

• KiaSoulEV-Transmission.PNG
    KiaSoulEV-Transmission.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
That makes no sense - the SoulEV has a single speed transmission with reverse implemented by reversing the traction motor. Afaik, it is not cooled, and it certainly has no converters. As for the price, you should be able to get a replacement transmission for that!

I suspect they are using AI to generate that recommendation. Some authors refer to AIs as Artificial Stupids - they have no common sense.

You should immediately get a qualified shop to check the gear box gear oil level. On my car one of the front axle seals failed and leaked out the 1 litre or so of gear oil. There is no transmission to flush, and changing the gear oil should cost < 1 hour of labour.

Unfortunately, having the "reduction gear" / gearbox / "transmission" gradual fail is fairly common on these Soul EVs. I had to replace mine off warranty last year.

FYI, as noted in https://www.mykiasoulev.com/threads/2016-soul-ev-range-anxiety.2072/post-14944,
The Korean warranty is 10 years, 160,000km to 70% SOH.
The United States is 10 years, 100,000 miles to 70% SOH.
The Canadian warranty is 8 years, 160,000km to 70% SOH
The United Kingdom is 7 years, 100,000 miles to 70% SOH.
Europe is 7 years, 150,000km to 70% SOH.

I had a look at the battery warranty to check what is included.
Electric Vehicle (EV) System
  • Electric Motor
  • Gear Drive Unit
  • Battery Pack
  • Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU)
  • On Board Charger (OBC)
So yes the Gear Drive Unit is included. But that is for when it breaks not for regular maintenance.
I guess if the seal leaks then that counts as a fault.

I have two 2015 Soul Evs.
Both cars had the gear oil changed after 120,000km at the 7 year service.
Same time. Same day. Took less than an hour. I paid for the service. It wasn't much.

1727022885720.jpeg

Back