EV! light and implications

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J M

Hi all,

Looking for some help. Just purchased a used 2017 Kia Soul EV. I've had it 2 months. This month I just started seeing EV! light when driving and it's come on more frequently. I took it to the dealer (took a month to get an appointment) for inspection, paid $240 to diagnose it. They said that it's due to a faulty battery heater ($4,000 + Labor) and needs to be replaced. They saw there was an extended warranty purchased from the dealer (same dealer I took it to) but from the previous owner. It doesn't transfer.

So I'm looking at paying $5,000+ because it's not covered under Manufacturer warranty, or the extended from the dealership. I paid $10,000 for the car, so do I just call it a total and eat the loss? Or is it drivable like this?

Money is so tight right now, trying to figure out what to do. If I can just drive it, ignoring the heater issue, I'll do that.

Thanks!

JM

Well the battery heater is used in cold climates to pre-heat the batteries so they can be charged at sub-zero Celsius temperatures, and also to heat them during use to an extent to improve range/efficiency. If you don't live in an area where freezing temperatures are common you shouldn't require it.

Having said that, I have no idea how the car's charging software will behave given that it has detected the failure. It may (or may not) prevent you from charging, etc.

Also note that the factory warranty coverage for the EV System components, including the battery (and its heater) and EV drivetrain:
The Korean warranty is 10 years, 160,000km to 70% SOH.
The United States is 10 years, 100,000 miles to 70% SOH.
The Canadian warranty is 8 years, 160,000km to 70% SOH
The United Kingdom is 7 years, 100,000 miles to 70% SOH.
Europe is 7 years, 150,000km to 70% SOH.

(as noted by JejuSoul in https://www.mykiasoulev.com/threads/2016-soul-ev-range-anxiety.2072/post-14944)

Last edited:
Cars in warm climates don't come with battery heaters. I don't have one. So I can't answer the question how important it is.
Presumably you are in a cold climate because you have a car with a heater.
And presumably you live in the Northern Hemisphere and it is about to be winter.
If so then you will soon find out if this is necessary.

My guess is that if you have a heated garage then you will be fine.
If not then it's probably best to charge when the car is still warm.
On really cold mornings run the HVAC to warm the cabin before you set off.
You'll have to go out to the car and turn it on.
If you use the timer it will take power from the external source through the cable.
You want the HVAC to use the HV battery. Using the battery warms it up.

Back