Heating and Cooling the Cabin - The HVAC System

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Seems in Canada they think we don't like it cold (lol). I double checked, min is 17C.

I do notice in the Norway pic the auto button is a little different...it does not have the red and blue bars like mine and earlier pic from Jeju.

Terry

Yes. In the heat pump system the compressor pumps the refrigerant around the car. Sometime it is a gas and sometimes a liquid depending on temperature and pressure. The specific type for our car is R134a (1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane).

Given that this is the regular refrigerant presumably any local garage could do it.
I don't think there is any need for official Kia diagnostics for this.

When topping up the coolant the official method is to use the Kia diagnostic to ensure the water pump fills the entire system before driving away. The normal method is just to top up again after driving for a short while. Hence anyone can do it.
I don't know if the refrigerant system works in the same way. Please let us know.

Last edited:
Last year I used one of those store-bought kits ("A/C Pro Ultra synthetic A/C recharge", purchased at Wal-Mart) to recharge my wife's Toyota Camry's AC system and I noticed that the instructions specifically say "Not for use in hybrid/electric with non-belt-driven compressor". So, for my peace of mind I personally would take it to an authorized electric vehicle service center such as most Kia dealerships.

Yes, that is very true. The thing about electric/hybrid cars is that they use an electrically driven compressor, which requires the use of special non-conducting refrigerant, and the equipment used must be confined to electric systems. If there is any contamination from non-electric systems the costs are dire.

R134a (1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane) is the refrigerant. It is a gas.
Every compressor also needs lubricating oil.

What Type Of Refrigerant Oil Is Used In R134A Systems?
Either PAG =polyalkylene glycol
Or PAO = Polyalphaolefin
Or POE = Polyolester Oil - this is the one used in our cars.

Traditionally PAG oils were mixed with a fluorescent contrast agent for UV leak detection.
The POE oils used for electric vehicles do not have this UV leak detection.
(Although new brands are now coming on to the market :- uv-dye-for-electric-vehicle

Now look at the Kia Soul EV manual :- refrigerant_direction_control_valve_repair_procedures

caution.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

The transition from R134A refrigerant to R-1234yf is about the Global Warming Potential. It has nothing to do with the transition from ICE vehicles to EVs.
Following the Montreal Protocol in 1996 that eliminated CFCs because of their Ozone Depleting Potential, the Kigali Amendment was created in October of 2016 to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) like R-134A because of its high Global Warming potential (GWP).
The latest EPA regulations require new vehicles offered for sale (starting in the 2021 model year) to use a refrigerant other than R134a.
refrig graph.jpg

Last edited:
With regard to leak detection for EVs, KIA specify an electronic "sniffer" for detection, rather than a visual method.
Do you have a link for that?

Here's a DIY refrigerant top up for a 2016 Kia Soul. Not electric.

ice-soul.jpg

Note Electric Vehicles must use 'Pure' refrigerant. No added fluorescent dye.

For example

acpro.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that is very true. The thing about electric/hybrid cars is that they use an electrically driven compressor, which requires the use of special non-conducting refrigerant, and the equipment used must be confined to electric systems. If there is any contamination from non-electric systems the costs are dire.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Didn't even think about the conductivity aspect, but that makes sense. Best to have an EV tech do it so that it's on them if they do it wrong, even if the cost to have it done is higher than at other repair shops, etc.

Back