How to use regen braking efficiently

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmn

I'm trying to figure out how to use my Soul's regen brakes. I'm not sure if the brake lights illuminate when I use the paddles, and I'm also unsure which setting is best for energy conservation. I'm used to driving ICE vehicles, so I'm trying to figure out how to drive my Soul efficiently. Except when driving downhill, I usually have the regen braking set to zero. Again, I'm used to driving an ICE car, so I try to slow down by coasting rather than braking. I only use the paddles or the brake pedal when I need to brake quickly.

FYI the paddles let you choose a regen level that fits your driving style. Level 0 focuses on boosting regen braking when you brake. My issue with Level 0 is that if I need to emergency brake, I just hit the brakes hard instead of using the paddles, so I miss out on those regen perks. I just stick to level 0 if I’m cruising at low speeds.

And btw, about the brake lights, it only kick in when you let off the accelerator at higher regen (levels 2, 3 and iPedal), which means if you’re using stronger regen, your lights take a hot minute to catch up. Level 0 gives you barely any regen, while level 1 feels like you’re just coasting in an automatic or rolling in 4th gear.

Hope that helps.

Back