Kia buy back

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just contacted by corporate Kia, offering to buy back my vehicle. Can anyone who has gone through this share the buyback amount they were offered, and how well the process worked?

I haven't gone thru the complete process. I originally paid $13,300 for a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ (MSRP ~38K) in 2019. In Feb of this year, Kia offered me $10,100 for the vehicle: I think this was a fair offer. The car is in very good shape and has about 40K miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, it is a victim of the High-Voltage Battery Recall fiasco and has been sitting at the dealers since Feb. awaiting a new battery. I loved the vehicle and would prefer to have the battery replaced under warrantee and the vehicle returned to me in good condition. Consequently, I did not accept Kia's buy-back offer. I will wait awhile longer hoping for the best but if a new battery doesn't ever materialize, I will probably apply for another buy-back offer, which I am assuming they will offer, as it is probably cheaper to buy the car back than to replace the battery. I am guessing they eventually will replace the battery but don't know how long this could take. If I had accepted the repurchase offer, Kia indicated it would take 60-90 days to complete the process, which I imagine would involve the local Kia dealer, but I have no great insight into the final steps of the process. Good luck!

I haven't gone thru the complete process. I originally paid $13,300 for a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ (MSRP ~38K) in 2019. In Feb of this year, Kia offered me $10,100 for the vehicle: I think this was a fair offer. The car is in very good shape and has about 40K miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, it is a victim of the High-Voltage Battery Recall fiasco and has been sitting at the dealers since Feb. awaiting a new battery. I loved the vehicle and would prefer to have the battery replaced under warrantee and the vehicle returned to me in good condition. Consequently, I did not accept Kia's buy-back offer. I will wait awhile longer hoping for the best but if a new battery doesn't ever materialize, I will probably apply for another buy-back offer, which I am assuming they will offer, as it is probably cheaper to buy the car back than to replace the battery. I am guessing they eventually will replace the battery but don't know how long this could take. If I had accepted the repurchase offer, Kia indicated it would take 60-90 days to complete the process, which I imagine would involve the local Kia dealer, but I have no great insight into the final steps of the process. Good luck!
Thanks for this post. The details may be very useful to many of us. I am currently ignoring my BMS recall notice, as I love this car and have a really excellent battery. (Um, you know, provided it doesn't spontaneously combust!)

I contacted Strategic Legal Practices in Century City, Los Angeles, uploaded some docs and pointed them to this Kia Soul forum for more owners with our recall and buy back problems about 3 weeks ago. They called me back 2 weeks ago but being cell phone challenged at 77 YO, I missed the call AND the friggin' msg. Anyway, I'm calling them on Mon at 310 277 1040. Maybe you guys could also reach out to them and we can get a class action lawsuit going and maybe the publicity will get Kia Corporate going. Fingers crossed.

I contacted Strategic Legal Practices in Century City, Los Angeles, uploaded some docs and pointed them to this Kia Soul forum for more owners with our recall and buy back problems about 3 weeks ago. They called me back 2 weeks ago but being cell phone challenged at 77 YO, I missed the call AND the friggin' msg. Anyway, I'm calling them on Mon at 310 277 1040. Maybe you guys could also reach out to them and we can get a class action lawsuit going and maybe the publicity will get Kia Corporate going. Fingers crossed.
Any updates? We have been waiting for our battery replacement since November of 2023.

I called, left a msg, never heard back. I did give SLP the forum URL coz I didn't want to them for a $6K case. I don't know if they ever came to the forum. I got my car back this week after the software update--fingers crossed, but I certainly will report if I get turtle mode back.

Thanks for this post. The details may be very useful to many of us. I am currently ignoring my BMS recall notice, as I love this car and have a really excellent battery. (Um, you know, provided it doesn't spontaneously combust!)
This might sound weird but how are you handling the whole spontaneous combustion warning? It wasnt an official recall, but it did feel a whole lot like "Legal Notice", as in if your car were to catch fire and burn down your home or an apartment complex all that is on you, you were warned. Kia wont pay for damages outside of parts and labor and your insurance company might not want any part of it.
Yes, I'm a very paranoid person.

This might sound weird but how are you handling the whole spontaneous combustion warning? It wasnt an official recall, but it did feel a whole lot like "Legal Notice", as in if your car were to catch fire and burn down your home or an apartment complex all that is on you, you were warned. Kia wont pay for damages outside of parts and labor and your insurance company might not want any part of it.
Yes, I'm a very paranoid person.
In the US it is an Official Recall though:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/KIA/SOUL%20EV/SUV/FWD#recalls
March 29, 2023
NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23V218000
High-Voltage Battery Pack May Short-Circuit
A battery electrical short-circuit increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V218000

Manufacturer Kia America, Inc.

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,689

Summary

Kia America, Inc. (Kia) is recalling certain 2015-2019 Soul EV vehicles equipped with an E400 battery. The high-voltage battery pack may experience an electrical short-circuit while driving.

Remedy

Dealers will update and/or replace the battery management system and software, as necessary, free of charge. The new software will illuminate the EV warning light, limit charging capacity, and reduce vehicle power if abnormal voltage is detected. If this occurs, the battery will be replaced, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed August 18, 2023. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC267.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

5 Affected Products
Vehicle
MAKEMODELYEAR

KIASOUL EV2015-2019

In the US it is an Official Recall though:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/KIA/SOUL%20EV/SUV/FWD#recalls
March 29, 2023
NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23V218000
High-Voltage Battery Pack May Short-Circuit
A battery electrical short-circuit increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V218000

Manufacturer Kia America, Inc.

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,689

Summary

Kia America, Inc. (Kia) is recalling certain 2015-2019 Soul EV vehicles equipped with an E400 battery. The high-voltage battery pack may experience an electrical short-circuit while driving.

Remedy

Dealers will update and/or replace the battery management system and software, as necessary, free of charge. The new software will illuminate the EV warning light, limit charging capacity, and reduce vehicle power if abnormal voltage is detected. If this occurs, the battery will be replaced, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed August 18, 2023. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC267.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

5 Affected Products
Vehicle
MAKEMODELYEAR

KIASOUL EV2015-2019
The Soul EV was a risk of short circuiting/fire while driving.

Compared to Bolt's Fire Risk while parked
Where NHTSA site has recall marked as Urgent
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/CHEVROLET/BOLT%20EV/5%20HB/FWD#recalls

The Soul EV was a risk of short circuiting/fire while driving.

Compared to Bolt's Fire Risk while parked
Where NHTSA site has recall marked as Urgent
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/CHEVROLET/BOLT%20EV/5%20HB/FWD#recalls
I'm in the USA as well and I'm sitting here reading the notice they sent me....and I uh, well really need to hone my reading comprehension skills. Like where it says at the top "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL"
I'm starting to get all my details convoluted, some people get cars some people dont get cars some people get software upgrades, then there are all the news articles..."dont charge or park next to other cars, dont park in the garage, keep vehicle in concrete bunker blah blah blah"
Sorry my paranoia is getting the better of me.

Back