Replacing Soul EV 2017 navigation unit

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhoang123

Hi,

I've been experiencing parasitic drain on my ev. I knew it related to the navigation unit as if it take out the fuse for that, no more drains. Today, I put the fuse back in, drains again. I then took out the whole navigation unit, unplug all wires, no more drains. It is clear to me that the navigation unit is faulty. My question is, since it is hard or very expresive (almost 4k) to get the replacement, can I just use the navigation unit from regular 2017 soul (not ev)? Please let me know. Thanks.

If you want the EV functionality it has to be the EV version.
Paying 4k just to get the charge timer seems pointless.

Navigating to the nearest charging station can be done on any mapping software.
Also why restrict yourself to the regular 2017 soul (not ev), any navigation unit that fits in the space will do.

Some previous comments on this here :- 2015 soul (ev) display unit - infotainment

You're right. I only need the backup camera and audio, thats why if something else able to do that, im all for. Im asking about using regular soul because its pretty cheap (~$100-$150 vs 4k). Please do let me know if you have suggestion for other navigation units/brands. Thanks for your help

Thanks l. Going to check it out. Do you know if the navigation unit for Canada market will fit US? Kia soul ev 2017. Thanks

We had our 2017 US model Soul EV head unit changed in Bellingham about 4 months ago. It is a unit model not available from Kia Canada. We had after market insurance so only cost us $100 US. The dealer we got it from in Canada used (was a US import) told us it was $12K, told us to take it across the border to have it replaced (they just didn't want the hassle I'm sure). I believe the total cost billed to the insurance was about $1500. Our old unit had some other intermittent behavior besides the battery drain (killed it in about 4 hours) It would change radio band/channel at random, bluetooth was also intermittent.

If you only have the offline battery drain, it could be solved with an inline relay that disconnects the radio fuse when you turn off the car. I contemplated doing that on ours, but just kept pulling the fuse (was just too lazy). It should be doable for <$25 in parts and a little bit of wire. If your interested I can tell you how to do it.

Thank you so much for your response. Believe it or not, i did that relay route as well. It works for the most part except when i or my wife forgot to turn off the relay, then we have a dead battery overnight. I also have a battery monitor, as a backup strategy. It will notify me when my batter is low, but then the bluetooth signal keep getting lost. I even bought an external ackup camera lol. After all that, I decided to really fix/replace it...

OK, so to make it turn off automatically, you need to power the relay coil from a fuse that turns off when you turn off the car. There are lots of them in that fuse panel. Then you don't need a switch to turn off the relay.

Back