What does the temperature readout indicate?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

While driving I’ve seen my 2018 soul ev temperature readout fluctuates between 85 and 115. I believe this is telling me the battery’s temperature and is fluctuating due to the fan kicking in and off. My question is how high should it go normally if the sensor/fan is working correctly. When should i pull over, because its not? Im in a warmer climate area (los angeles) while not phoenix, it does get into triple digits often. I would prefer to baby my battery rather than expedite its degradation.
Thank you in advance for any response!
Rick

Here is a copy from an old post of mine written on Aug 1, 2020 :- TMS Behavior
No one with a 30kWh Soul EV has ever replied to this.
I have not checked this data recently with the updated BMS. (Reset twice due to the safety recall.)
I also recommend this recent thread :- Battery Cooling fan Service/Cleaning
It is quite clear from the test videos by TeslaBjorn that air cooling does not work well
to remove extreme heat from the battery.
-
This table of battery fan data was written for the 27kWh Soul EV with the original BMS.
I now have a replacement battery with updated cells, and an updated version of the BMS. In my testing so far the battery fan data is identical with before.
Can someone with a 30kWh Soul EV who lives in a hot summer region confirm if these numbers are the same.

A table for Fan Status, Fan Feedback and the temps at which they come on:
Code:
Status    Feedback [Hz]          Temp[C]
Level 0                0                   < 31
Level 1                42                 31C - 33C  
Level 2                50                 33C - 36C
Level 3                58                 36C - 39C
Level 4                67                 39C - 41C
Level 5                75                 41C - 43C
Level 6                85                43C - 45C 
Level 7                88                 45C - 49C
Level 8                95                 50C - ???
Level 9                100                 ?

Back