2016 Soul EV Owner here.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergio Rivas

Hello. I have an issue with my Soul. Actually 2 but one is a bit more urgent.

It’s doing the turning off while I’m braking thing. The whole console lights up and it says to “CHECK VEHICLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS.” I took it to the dealership and after 2 weeks they put a new battery in it and told me they couldn’t recreate the problem. The evening I took it home it didn’t shut off. But the next day it did. It’s been doing it ever since but I haven’t taken it back. I don’t want to be without it for 2 weeks again.

My second issue is the main batteries. It used to get 100 miles in the summer and 73 in the winter. Now I get 51 miles in the summer and about 44 in the winter.

Suggestions?

Hello. I have an issue with my Soul. Actually 2 but one is a bit more urgent.

It’s doing the turning off while I’m braking thing. The whole console lights up and it says to “CHECK VEHICLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS.” I took it to the dealership and after 2 weeks they put a new battery in it and told me they couldn’t recreate the problem. The evening I took it home it didn’t shut off. But the next day it did. It’s been doing it ever since but I haven’t taken it back. I don’t want to be without it for 2 weeks again.

My second issue is the main batteries. It used to get 100 miles in the summer and 73 in the winter. Now I get 51 miles in the summer and about 44 in the winter.

Suggestions?
For the second problem, get the dealer to read the battery SoH. If its lower than 70%, and the car is still under warranty, KIA will replace it. Read PS 548 and take a copy with you to the dealer, so that you both know how it must be done.

For the second problem, get the dealer to read the battery SoH. If its lower than 70%, and the car is still under warranty, KIA will replace it. Read PS 548 and take a copy with you to the dealer, so that you both know how it must be done.
Ian - when you give advice about the battery it is important to clarify that you are referring to the High Voltage battery. The original poster says "...they put a new battery in...", and we both assume it means 12V battery.
But by not specifying which battery it can lead to confusion and wrong assumptions being made.

The silliest example is when I took my car in to get a replacement HV battery, at the appointed time, at the Kia HV battery replacement center. I parked my car, went into the office, said I've come for a replacement battery and handed over my key fob. The office worker assumed I wanted a new battery for the key fob.

Ian - when you give advice about the battery it is important to clarify that you are referring to the High Voltage battery. The original poster says "...they put a new battery in...", and we both assume it means 12V battery.
But by not specifying which battery it can lead to confusion and wrong assumptions being made.

The silliest example is when I took my car in to get a replacement HV battery, at the appointed time, at the Kia HV battery replacement center. I parked my car, went into the office, said I've come for a replacement battery and handed over my key fob. The office worker assumed I wanted a new battery for the key fob.
You're not wrong in general, but if you read Sergio's post:
"My second issue is the main batteries. It used to get 100 miles in the summer and 73 in the winter. Now I get 51 miles in the summer and about 44 in the winter." and taking into account my answer specifically mentioned "for the second problem", I submit, M'Lud, that, in this case, no ambiguity is possible.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. When I mentioned the battery that was replaced I did mean the 12 Volt battery. I should have been more specific.

Back