Analysis of a replacement battery.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone on the forums considered/tried this? Seems like it’s a small EV repair firm in Auckland that replaced the cell modules from a 24kwh leaf gen 2, for CATL ones, upping the capacity to 40kwh, left a big gap in the centre which potentially could improve cooling(?), then they didn’t show it but their plan was to flash the firmware (I assume bms) from a 30 or 40kwh leaf.

Would be good if we could pack somewhere above 40-64kwh in and flash the 2nd gen soul BMS (or save time and just harvest one from a 2nd gen soul), if it all *theoretically* works then might be a way forward for old 1st gen souls…

(Note this is extreme speculation on my part, hoping we could keep these cars running long into the future)

Here's a previous comment from :- Anyone resolved "Check Electric Vehicle System" car shudders and stops?.

My blue car a MY2015 is 9 years old with the original battery. It has begun to show similar errors. Not when driving (fortunately), while parked and trying to start the car.
The dashboard puts up a "Check Electric Vehicle System" warning and a turtle sign, even though the car is charged to 100%. The car will not move. The power button needs to be pressed many times before the car will turn off. On the second or third time I try starting the car it will start and drive normally.
The 12V battery is new. It was replaced when the car ran out of power going up the mountain last December.
Link to previous problem with main and 12V battery.
Since then the BMS insists that the SOH is 100% and the GOM shows 180km. Obviously this is not correct. The car is only used for short trips, less than 10km so I'm not sure what the actual range is.
I'm taking the car in on Monday. So will find out more then.

The official KIA estimate of SOH was 94.9% in June 2022.
It went down quickly over the next year.
The official KIA estimate of SOH was 78.5% in June 2023.
My guess is that SOH is now well below 60%

I took the car in to KIA to have it checked yesterday.
The official KIA estimate of SOH was 79.5%
The GOM now shows 140km.

Edit : 5 days later the GOM is now 130km

The Kia tech told me to bring the car in again in two weeks time because the SOH is likely to fall further.

In South Korea the battery warranty is ten years, but free battery service is only available for 8. Until now every KIA estimate of SOH has been free. Given that the car is now 9 that becomes a paid service.
But due to a major EV fire in Seoul recently the government has mandated that all EVs should get a free battery check.

It was an expensive new BMW EV that exploded in an underground garage last month. The resulting fire destroyed about 140 other cars.

mercedes.gif

ev fire.jpg

Last edited:
-
It is now over 4 1/2 years since I had the battery replaced on my white 27kWh 2015 Soul EV.
On December 30th 2019 the car had driven 86,993km before getting a new battery.
On September 4th 2024 the odometer reads 145,010km. That's 58,017km on the new battery.

I took the car in to have its 'free' yearly service.
The official Kia estimate of SOH is 100%

I have no idea what the actual degradation is. Just that nothing has been lost from usable capacity.
Despite not know the size of the 'early years buffer it is obvious that the replacement E400 cells are degrading much slower over time than the original E375 cells did.

----

As an update to the exploding BMW story I posted last month. The Korean government has mandated that the original origin of the battery must be displayed on each EV. Many German car companies are now using Chinese battery cells. But because the cells are assembled into a pack at a German factory the battery can be labelled as 'Made in Germany'.
Probably the Korean government is doing this to protect Korean manufacturers.
Probably the German car companies are doing it to avoid protectionist tariffs.
I think the idea is good because it helps the consumer make an informed choice.
I think all countries should do this.

Last edited:
Back