another reduction gear gone bad...

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biffidum

Two months past my warranty the transmission has begun to whine. I drained the oil myself (east job btw) and replaced with fresh oil. Owners manual states GL4 oil which is odd as it is mostly for older transmissions (typically those that have bronze synchros or forks). Even more odd is that the oil P/N circulating on the web is GL5 and has friction modifiers in it for LSD (limited slip differential) applications. This seems like a bad idea for an open diff application. I plan on draining and replacing with some quality GL5 oil soon to help flush things out. The old oil was full of aluminum. New oil did NOT quiet the transmission down at all.

What I have observed is that the transmission is quiet when turning left with some lateral force, and louder when turning right with some lateral force. My theory is that the larger gear is laterally loading up and enhancing the wear. I intend to drive it till the noise becomes more severe to aid in diagnosing the problem. Youtube videos indicate a bearing failure - but in their "parts kit" they include spring washers which would keep large bearings away from the aluminum casting. I'm sure I can source bearings and washers without difficulty, so stay tuned.

Vehicle is a 2016 with 156,000km on odometer. Has new battery since 110,000km. I currently have 150km total range with normal driving (I'm not the hypermiling type).

Other problems: AC needs resealing - will do this myself too, just need to get around to sourcing the proper gaskets, receiver dryer and oil.

All-in-all I still love the car and use it every day. There doesn't seem to be a cheaper way to drive around, other than on a bike.

My A/C unit is leaking as well and I've thought of trying to fix it myself. Assuming it's just a bunch of o-rings?

In any case I'll be following your progress with interest.

Some seals for AC are fancy stamped aluminum plates with fused rubber gaskets others are just O-rings. Typically the receiver-dryer is replaced at the same time and any lost PAG oil is replaced. You need to measure how much is lost when opening the system and replace the same amount (include draining the receiver-dryer). If you make a note of any joints that are oily or "wet" those are likely leaking. Mine is mostly leaking from the bottom of the evaporator (in front of radiator). If you do the work it will cost less to have the system evacuated and filled. Typically you fill with nitrogen first and wait a few days to ensure no leakage.

Interesting, Biffidum, will stay tuned. I'm about to pass 200,000 km with no gearbox issues. (124k miles). I did replace the gear oil with GL4 at 120,000 km so will probably do so again at 200k for good measure.

Back