My key got stuck near the HUD

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nella_

My car's key is stuck in the dashboard and I can't get it out; the dealer wants to break the screen to get it, which would be extremely expensive; is that even possible?

My car's key is stuck in the dashboard and I can't get it out; the dealer wants to break the screen to get it, which would be extremely expensive; is that even possible?
That is a bizarre plan of action from the dealer. If necessary, the entire dashboard can be dismantled without breaking anything.

Can you share any details or pictures? Perhaps someone in the group will have a less destructive suggestion.

Worst case, maybe you can just obtain a spare key and leave it there. Your other key will lock the doors even with that key inside, so the only security downside is that if the car is left unlocked, someone can start it. When the battery dies, that problem goes away.

No way, that’s crazy! It’s pretty rare for a key to get stuck in the dashboard. Breaking the screen should really be a last resort, though. Hit us up with more details so we can brainstorm some other ways to fix this!

You have a second key, right? Use that for now and get a new second key reprogrammed at a dealership. (I would strongly suggest NOT the dealership you are in conversation with now.) I just did this having lost both my keys (don't be me!). If you find a competent locksmith, the whole cost should be somewhere around $300. If you don't have a second key, get two new ones, which should be around $500. That's a lot, but it beats breaking your dashboard which just sounds like a terrible idea.

1729096037496.jpegHere's a photo of the HUD on a UK 2020 Soul EV.
According to Wikipedia the 2020 Soul EV isn't sold in the US.
Did the entire fob fall into the slot or just the metal insert?

Which screen is the dealer referring to when he says he must break the screen.
Presumably the HUD screen not windscreen.
A better solution to smashing anything is to remove the entire plastic panel around the navigation screen.
You will need the service manual to find out how to do this.

Back