What Range and Efficiency Should I Expect? Considering a Used Kia Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully_Oh92

I'm considering a secondhand Kia Soul EV for my first electric vehicle purchase, and i'm kinda hoping to get some solid advice from experienced owners. Bluntly the Kia Soul EV caught my attention due to its reasonable pricing in the used market. But I've run into some challenges. I have been trying to gauge the health of the battery (State of Health, or SOH) on the cars I'm looking at.

I know there are apps like Soul Spy that can give detailed battery data, but I've read that the app can be finicky, especially with OBD2 readers. So, I've been using a more old-school method—simply asking sellers how many miles the car can go on a full charge. For a 27kWh battery, is 75-80 miles a decent range, or should I be concerned about battery degradation?

I'm also curious about using the car's history menu to check the miles per kWh as a guide. What would you consider acceptable or a red flag? My current understanding is that 2.8 to 3.1 miles per kWh might be on the lower end, and I’ve heard that 4 miles per kWh or higher is ideal. This specific car I'm looking at is a 2016 model, and I understand that battery degradation and weather play big roles, especially in winter.

For those who've owned a Soul EV, what kind of miles per kWh do you typically see? what should I expect in terms of range and efficiency? I'm trying to avoid making an expensive mistake here! 😓

... should I be concerned about battery degradation? Yes.
The 27kWh cars have a battery that does not last well.
In 2018 the Soul EVs were updated with a new battery pack that lasts much better.

I recommend paying more to get the better car.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend a 2018-2019 30kwh Soul. The battery is much more reliable than the earlier models. Keep in mind that with Chademo fast charging it is really a neighborhood car.

My 2018 reads about 105 miles on a full charge in a New England winter and about 135 miles in summer. The car has about 39K miles and that's mostly around town driving at about 4.5 miles per kwh.
Hope that helps.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend a 2018-2019 30kwh Soul. The battery is much more reliable than the earlier models. Keep in mind that with Chademo fast charging it is really a neighborhood car.

My 2018 reads about 105 miles on a full charge in a New England winter and about 135 miles in summer. The car has about 39K miles and that's mostly around town driving at about 4.5 miles per kwh.
Hope that helps.
I also drive a 2018 Soul EV, can confirm. Battery is great, and getting between 4-4.5 miles per kWh.

I'm considering a secondhand Kia Soul EV for my first electric vehicle purchase, and i'm kinda hoping to get some solid advice from experienced owners. Bluntly the Kia Soul EV caught my attention due to its reasonable pricing in the used market. But I've run into some challenges. I have been trying to gauge the health of the battery (State of Health, or SOH) on the cars I'm looking at.

I know there are apps like Soul Spy that can give detailed battery data, but I've read that the app can be finicky, especially with OBD2 readers. So, I've been using a more old-school method—simply asking sellers how many miles the car can go on a full charge. For a 27kWh battery, is 75-80 miles a decent range, or should I be concerned about battery degradation?

I'm also curious about using the car's history menu to check the miles per kWh as a guide. What would you consider acceptable or a red flag? My current understanding is that 2.8 to 3.1 miles per kWh might be on the lower end, and I’ve heard that 4 miles per kWh or higher is ideal. This specific car I'm looking at is a 2016 model, and I understand that battery degradation and weather play big roles, especially in winter.

For those who've owned a Soul EV, what kind of miles per kWh do you typically see? what should I expect in terms of range and efficiency? I'm trying to avoid making an expensive mistake here! 😓
As others, including JejuSoul, our fearless leader, have said, the 2018 battery is better in raw power and seemingly also in longevity. I have had three 2016s, the latest of which has a 2021 battery and can go 150 miles on a charge given ideal driving conditions (warm temperatures, moderate freeways speeds, one-pedal driving approximation, no AC) when I can get over 5miles/kWh.

A key factor that you should attempt to determine is whether the particular 2016 you're considering has had its battery replaced. In the US any owner can get a replacement battery for 10 years or 100K miles. It's a hassle, but it can be done. If the 2016 you are interested in has some leeway under those figures, or if the battery has been replaced, it seems like a good gamble. Check the manufacturing date, though: I believe the 10 year warranty starts from that day, not the model year.

I love all aspects of the car aside from the limited range, the OEM tires, and the poor front tweeters. But the tires have probably already been replaced and the tweeters can be easily replaced for roughly $100. My wife (who drives a Tesla) had to borrow my Soul for a few days last week and grudgingly admitted that she came to love its sightlines and feeling of openness. If this car could go 300 miles, I would never want to replace it.

Back