Battery Recall for cars with E400 high-voltage battery.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the car was purchased in 2016 new it had 91 miles range.

At the time of of the last BMS update the car said it would only charge to 75 miles range max.

It was nice to see 91 miles again on the guess-O-meter again but being an electronic technician I knew it was one big lie that would end up biting me in the butt. Sure enough did and the wife had told me not to take the long way back home.
It's not a lie, its how the BMS works. See the summary of KIA TSB PS548

I got my 2016 EV+ back 4 weeks ago after a software fix (this is after 6 months at the dealership waiting for a replacement battery) and so far, the car has been driving normal / well. Then this week I got a Voluntary Service Campaign letter dated June 4, 2024 that says there has been additional improvements to the BMS software after the fix under NHTSA recall # 23V218 (Kia's ref. # SC267). My car was doing okay until I took it in for that recall and I hesitate to let them "do more work" on the car. Anyone had the same letter, and any advice?

It's not a lie, its how the BMS works. See the summary of KIA TSB PS548
Telling me the battery had the original 91 miles was wrong, telling me I had 7 miles remaining was wrong, leaving me the wife and dog stranded on the road side was wrong!

Being a programmer/technician and human being I could do better than that. For having AI and computers and so forth you would think the car could tell you the battery is failing and you only have 1 more mile available. Switch in a single reserve battery to ensure a safe landing in case the primary fails a couple extra mile would be nice.

Best wishes

Last edited:
How much does everyone trust their cars to keep working well? It feels like a crap shoot whether my car will keep running since it came home. It has not turtled yet, but I am almost expecting it will.

My 2015 Kia Soul has received the latest BMS software update (SC267A), which caused the P1AD1 error again. Kia opened a Techline case and obtained PWA approval for BPA replacement. They replaced the high-voltage EV battery as per Kia's instructions and manually updated the BMS calibration. Finally, they road-tested the car and confirmed it is operating normally. I picked up the car today and ran a car scanner on the new battery pack, which now has 50 miles on it. I will test charging above 80% to ensure the previous limitation is resolved.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
How much does everyone trust their cars to keep working well? It feels like a crap shoot whether my car will keep running since it came home. It has not turtled yet, but I am almost expecting it will.
I trusted that my Soul EV needed a new battery.

I have other vehicles (2019 Bolt EV Premier, 2017 Kia Niro Touring, 2023 Ford F150 Lightning Pro) and an working with a dealer that advocates on my behalf. *Probably helps that my family (cousins, aunts and uncles) have purchased about 12 Kia vehicles from Horne Kia ... Soul EV was purchased used from a Bill Luke Chrysler dealer)

As an update to my current 2015 Soul EV + after having latest recall work done and leaving at dealer on June 4th....finally got approval for a new battery due to recall.
This will be the 2nd replacement battery (3rd battery over lifetime).

I was given another 2024 Kia Sportage Xpro
-oddly this model is more loaded than the previous 2024 Kia Sportage AWD but does not have wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay like the lower trim model had.
-This time the loaner has 12.3 Nav touchscreen, blindspots camera in gauge cluster, leather ventilated and heated seats, panoramic sunroof and all terrain off-road tires

(I do wonder when the nav screen kia, Hyundai, and Genesis vehicles will have the same wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay as the base trims**)

They said they will notify me an EV loaner becomes available.

Side notes:
Dealer was able to get EV (they called it Hybrid battery) ordered.
They also noted that the ordering system used nation wide got hacked and so they could not order a replacement passenger power mirror for the Soul EV ..yet

Will post more updates when information is available.

My car is performing well after 1 week. Tested level 2 charging beyond 80%. Successfully AC charged to 99%. GOM showed 124 miles range.
Great news. That's 200km on the GOM. Better than the original range in 2015.

Two interesting milestones here.
1/ First car to get a replacement battery after the warranty expired at 100,000 miles. The safety recall ignores the date and mileage restriction.
2/ First car to get 4 battery replacements reported on this forum.

Just when I thought things could not get any worse about a week ago I received a call abruptly about a battery is now available for your 2016 Kia Soul EV from KIA customer care and we are contacting the dealership 2nd time.

I gave this matter a few days to work and called the dealership to talk to the mechanic in charge of repair on the NHTSA battery recall.

He informed me he was instructed to replace the BMS unit to see if that fixes the car.

First thing this does nothing to address the actual high voltage battery recall, once again I have been lied to by KIA customer care, New 3rd escalated case worker knows nothing about EV cars or what has transpired with my case.

Common sense has left the building over the E400 battery recall.

225 days and counting on the NHTSA 23V218 recall notice and they are rigging the car to get it rolling again,Nothing wrong with the BMS unit except it has been reprogramed to say 91 original new miles and exaggerated range before the car left me on the road side it was only charging up to 75miles before BMS update. Main battery is kaput the BMS can't fix a dead main battery.

Please help

Last edited:
Been there, done that!! When my battery was failing the dealer did the reset the BMS trick; That band aid came off the first time I drove any distance and the range just plummeted. I have a good Kia dealer who responded to my request to check the SOH prior to doing anything else with the BMS. Sure enough the SOH was 55% so new battery approved.

Not so sure in your case without a true SOH measurement but if you are still getting a real 75 mile range on a car that had a 100 mile original range you clearly have a failing battery but indication would seem to be that you haven't yet got below the 70% of original range requirement for a battery replacement under warranty.

To my understanding the E400 recall is to update the charging software and install a new BMS wiring harness and not an automatic traction battery replacement unless a battery fault is found.

Been there, done that!! When my battery was failing the dealer did the reset the BMS trick; That band aid came off the first time I drove any distance and the range just plummeted. I have a good Kia dealer who responded to my request to check the SOH prior to doing anything else with the BMS. Sure enough the SOH was 55% so new battery approved.

Not so sure in your case without a true SOH measurement but if you are still getting a real 75 mile range on a car that had a 100 mile original range you clearly have a failing battery but indication would seem to be that you haven't yet got below the 70% of original range requirement for a battery replacement under warranty.

To my understanding the E400 recall is to update the charging software and install a new BMS wiring harness and not an automatic traction battery replacement unless a battery fault is found.
Appreciate your response, but I live in the foothills of East Tennessee every direction away from my home is 45 miles per hour up a hill, Turtle mode will not cut it, Car simpley needs a new battery and I have a recall notice to replace a known fault high voltage battery, The car has been in previously worked on for related recalls.

Have been told three times that my car will be properly repaired, Twice told the battery was on the way, First time it was a new battery around Christmas of 2023.

All I want is them to do is honor what was said when the car was purchased, When top people at KIA customer care said and the recall letter says in bold red ink.

Ever smelled an electrical burn smell before in the car?, I have.

This is no way to conduct a business.

My car is performing well after 1 week. Tested level 2 charging beyond 80%. Successfully AC charged to 99%. GOM showed 124 miles range.
I have to laugh when you all talk about the "GOM". My car was always pretty honest with me, if I typed an address into the navigation system and asked the car to take me there, it would give me an accurate assessment. Now if I typed in an address then pulled out of a warm garage into -13F weather it would quickly reassess the situation and I would take that in stride as I wasnt being entirely honest with the car.

I sure hope that when I finally get my car back it has a range of 124 miles too. That would really make it worth the wait. When it went into the shop I had a range of 36 miles on a full charge.

While searching online, I found new E4200 batteries priced at $15,788, and remanufactured E4200R batteries for around $1,595. Given my Soul received two consecutive replacements, I wonder if I first got the E4200R and later the more expensive new E4200 battery pack. Unfortunately, Kia's workorder didn't provide any part number for the EV battery replacement I received.

2015-2019 Kia Soul EV - 37510e4200
https://kia.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/kia-battery-37510e4200
MSRP: $16,917
Sale Price $15,788
Core Charge $2500

Battery Kia (37510-E4200R)
https://www.genuinekiaparts.com/oem-parts/kia-order-37510e4202r-37510e4200r?c=az0x
MSRP: $2416
Sale price $1595
Core charge $2500

Last edited:
kimdavi, I saw similar pricing on the new and rebuilt replacement options when I finally got my new pack almost three years ago ($14,500 for the new pack) and was quoted a $2500 price if I wanted too keep the old core. I sure was pleased to get the new pack, it's performed like new for another 34k miles, and after calling about the urgent safety-mandated software update, I got an appointment two months from now..... Oh well, the car is always parked outside and we're driving the wheels off of it. The rear hubs wore out around 105k miles and I'm hearing the front wheel bearings now. Will wait until after the software update is sorted out unless they get much louder.

Have completed the BBB formal complaint with no response from KIA, Guess the joke is on me as they have no BBB rating and the new escalated case worker can't even send a canned response as to what they are doing about a long overdue fix for my 2016 Soul EV.

Several different personal at KIA customer care has told me the car will be properly repaired, I beg of you to please just fix the car like you said when I purchased the car, In writing (red ink) on the recall notice letter and escalated personal in the KIA customer care have stated boldly.

All I am looking forward to is a properly repaired car. Please

Back